Sweet and smoky low carb barbecue sauce and a tender cheddar cheese crust combine in this keto-friendly, gluten-free version of Farmhouse BBQ Cups.
I’m a child of the 70s and 80s. Growing up, my family ate a LOT of Pillsbury Bake-off recipes. I loved when mom brought home a new Pillsbury Bake-off Cookbook from the grocery store!
I can remember poring over those cookbooks. Reading the recipes. Trying to imagine how they would taste (the desserts were always my favorite…). And I loved the section that talked about the Bake-offs! I dreamed of some day creating a recipe that was Bake-off worthy.
One of my favorite recipes, hands down, was Poppin’ Fresh™ Barbecups. Who wouldn’t love sweet barbecue sauce mixed with cheddar cheese in a muffin-shaped biscuit? Well, even if there’s someone out there who wouldn’t, this girl sure did!
If you’re a little younger than me, you may be familiar with something similar. Taste of Home magazine published a very similar recipe under the name “Farmhouse Barbecue Muffins.”
Why Make Keto Farmhouse BBQ Cups
When you stop eating refined wheat products and refined sugar, part of the process is letting go of some foods that may have been a favorite. I thought my beloved Barbecups were in that category.
But then I discovered “fat head dough.” This dough was created by the son of the man who starred in the movie Fat Head. A docu-comedy about losing weight while eating a low carb, high fat diet. Basically, it’s dough made from mozzarella cheese and almond flour. Other ingredients can be added to give the dough a different consistency.
I first experimented with making my own “fat head” recipe with my Garlic Biscuits. After all, I’m Italian! I had to have a yummy bread to go with my spaghetti!
After making those biscuits, I started to think about other ways to use the dough. Could I substitute some cheddar cheese in the dough? Could it be sturdy enough to replicate my old favorite?
I gave it a try, and was so excited to discover that I could still have one of my childhood favorites, with just a few tweaks.
Ingredients in Keto Farmhouse BBQ Cups
This post may include affiliate links. You can read our full affiliate disclosure policy here.
What are the ingredients to make my low carb barbecue cups?
- ground beef
- low carb BBQ sauce
- red onion
- low carb sweetener
- THM Baking Blend (or blend of almond flour & coconut flour)
- low moisture, part skim mozzarella cheese
- cheddar cheese
- cream cheese
- glucomannan powder or xanthan gum
- baking powder
THM Baking Blend
I love the Trim Healthy Mama Baking Blend. What makes it so wonderful? First, it is a blend of low carb, gluten-free flours. But instead of relying primarily upon almond and coconut flours, it contains a large percentage of oat fiber (not to be confused with oat flour). Oat fiber is essentially pure fiber. And what that means is when you’re baking with it, you can lower the fat load in your recipes.
If you’re following a keto diet, that can help improve the macros in recipes that contain a high amount of fat from other sources (hello, butter and cheese!).
And if you’re following THM, you may not have to count your fat grams or calories, but you should still be mindful of how they impact the calories in a recipe. After all, Pearl and Serene teach us not to abuse calories.
Second, the THM Baking Blend produces a really nice crumb in baked goods. It’s not the same as refined wheat flours, but it is better than the crumb with just almond flour.
Glucomannan Powder or Xanthan Gum
Glucomannan Powder and xanthan gum both act as binders when used in baked goods. I’ve made versions of fat head dough without them, but the dough doesn’t come together and hold together as nicely as it does with them.
Both ingredients last forever because a small amount goes a long way. You can also use them to thicken gravy or sauces or pudding. But do NOT use the same quantity as you would if using flour or corn starch!
Ways to Enjoy Your Keto Farmhouse BBQ Cups
My family loves Low Carb Farmhouse BBQ Cups for dinner, or lunch, or as a snack. Pretty much any time of the day! I’ve enjoyed them piping hot, straight from the oven. And I’ve also had them cold from the fridge. They’re yummy both ways!
Since they’re hand held pies, these tasty barbecue cups are great for meals on the run. And you can make them smaller to serve as finger food at a party. They pack up and travel well, so we enjoy taking them for tailgates too!
Tips for Making Keto Farmhouse BBQ Cups Recipe
The recipe calls for my Sweet & Smoky Low Carb BBQ Sauce. I keep this condiment on hand in my fridge because I use it often. If you don’t have any on hand, you will need to start by assembling and simmering the sauce.
While the sauce is simmering, start browning the ground beef and onions. You can add 2/3 cup of the sauce once the meat has been drained and let it continue simmering while you finish with the dough.
I like to assemble the dough while the meat is browning. I have a simple trick to make mixing the dough super easy!
Combine the dry ingredients and the cheese BEFORE you begin melting the cheese! This makes the dough come together so much more easily!
When all the ingredients have been added, the dough resembles the consistency of a drop biscuit.
The first time I tried make this recipe, I tried putting the dough in my muffin tins. After all, that worked great when the dough was a refrigerator biscuit. But even with a generous amount of cooking spray, the dough did not release well from the tins. You could use parchment paper baking cups, but I found simply flattening the dough on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet worked really well.
Simply drop the dough onto the parchment paper and flatten it down into circles. You can bring the edges up a bit to make a cup shape if you want, but it’s not necessary.
Top the dough with the meat mixture and some more cheddar cheese. Pop them in the oven and in 15 minutes these tasty low carb barbecue pies are ready to enjoy!
Serve them up with some raw veggies or a salad. Or maybe a batch of my Low Carb Coleslaw for a complete meal.
Keto Farmhouse BBQ Cups Recipe
Keto Farmhouse Barbecue Cups | THM-S
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2/3 cup Sweet and Smoky Low Carb BBQ Sauce
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Pyure see notes for substitutions
Cheddar Biscuit Base
- 1 cup medium or sharp cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, brown the ground beef and then drain. Return the drained meat to the skillet and add the finely chopped onions. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 more minutes to let the onion soften.Stir in the low carb barbecue sauce and sweetener.
- While the beef is cooking, add the baking blend, glucomannan, mozzarella cheese, and cheddar cheese to a microwave-safe bowl. Stir to mix the dry ingredients through the shredded cheese. Add the cream cheese and butter to the center of the bowl, and cover with the shredded cheese mixture. Microwave on high for 1-minute increments, stirring after each minute until the butter and cheese has all melted and a soft dough forms. Add the eggs and baking powder and stir by hand until mixed in.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions on the parchment paper and flatten into 2-3-inch disks, pressing down a bit in the center to make a well for the meat. Scoop the meat mixture on top of each disk. Top each meat pie with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the edges of the biscuits have begun to brown and the cheese on top has melted. Serve immediately. Refrigerate any leftovers.
More Posts You May Enjoy:
- Sweet and Smoky Low Carb BBQ Sauce
- Low Carb Coleslaw
- Bacon Cheddar Biscuits
- Mongolian Beef Egg Roll in a Bowl